Mushroom Risotto

Mushroom Risotto ~ toasting and creaming Arborio rice into a scrumptious risotto!

While the cats away the mouse gets to play - in the kitchen that is! My husband has gone up north with his brother to work on his brothers eventual retirement home and I have five glorious days by myself. Whenever my husband has left for a few days it gives me an opportunity to cook things that only I enjoy. Risotto is one of those dishes.
It's a wonder that my husband likes regular rice. When we were first married he said he "hated" rice. He had yet to have rice the way I make it and I was able to convert him - he loves my rice dishes including my Homestyle Rice and Roni! But risotto is still a no no for him. That's why I seized this opportunity to make risotto while he was gone - not once but twice!

If you have never made risotto before please don't be intimidated by it. But there are some keys to a good risotto dish:
  1. Salt at the beginning of the recipe.
  2. Make sure you have a hot pan and toast the rice over high heat.
  3. Keep stirring throughout the making of the risotto for the rice to properly release its' starches.
  4. Make sure you add the butter and cheese just shy of total cooking time - and off of the heat.
  • 1 cup Arborio Rice
  • 1 - 10 oz. package crimini mushrooms - sliced
  • 32 oz. chicken stock (just about all) 
  • 1 cup onion diced
  • 1/2 cup white wine (I used what I had: Chardonnay)
  • 6 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese or to taste
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste


  1. Get your stock going in a sauce pot. The stock has to be hot to do risotto. Once it's slightly boiling turn it down to low. Have a ladle ready too.
  2. In a large frying/saute pan heated over high heat, add in 1 tbsp. butter and the sliced mushrooms along with black pepper and a pinch of salt. Saute quickly until some color forms and place them in a waiting bowl.
  3. Add 2 tbsp. of butter to the pan and over medium high heat and saute the onions (season a bit again with salt and pepper) until translucent.
  4. Add the Arborio rice and stir to thoroughly coat all of the grains. Add more salt and pepper to taste and cook for 2 minutes. Then add in the wine. Cook until the wine is almost absorbed (Just a bit of it still in the pan.)
  5. Then begin adding in a ladle at a time the hot stock. Cook until it is 3/4 absorbed, add more stock and continue cooking (keep stirring) until the rice is just about done. (You will have to taste as you go to check for doneness.)
  6. Take the rice off the heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and the Parmesan cheese, stir until well combined and you are ready to serve.

It's creamy and delicious and really not hard to make. Using Arborio rice I found that it took me a good 20-25 minutes before it was done, but it's so worth it. You can serve this as a main meal or as an appetizer course if you are hosting a dinner party. The dish cost me approximately $10.52 to make feeding four people as a main meal for $2.63 each or six as an appetizer for $1.75 each.


I wanted to take a moment and fill you in on something. As some of you know, I've been having issues with my right arm from "deteriorated disc disease" in my neck since last October. Three rounds of steroid injections have given me some relief, but they haven't completely alleviated the pain.You can expect an occasional post from me based on how I am feeling; but my arm will not take constant mouse use and typing to do it on a consistent basis. I hope you keep visiting and go through the recipe pages to find the perfect dish for you and your families.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts