Chicken Wellingtons



Yum
Some time ago now I did a version of beef wellington using a well marinated eye of the round roast and called it Poor Man's Beef Wellington. At the time I made that I thought why not make one with chicken. I really thought I personally was so clever and came up with a novel idea. As I usually do, I checked on the internet and much to my (at the time) disappointment it was not an original or novel idea. My ego was crushed and so much so that I nixed the idea of making the recipe at all!

Well I've grown up a little since then and decided that I would incorporate the ideas I gleaned from Chef Gordon Ramsey and add my own personal touches to the dish. The mushroom and onion mixture gains flavor from using the same pan that was used to brown the chicken in along with the wonderful fresh thyme and the hint of dry sherry. The Dijon mustard adds another dimension to the over all taste.



The tasking part of the whole dish is to roll the puff pastry out to a 14 inch square. Not only is this dish out of the every day of what you would make in your normal line up, it actually is quite inexpensive. I was able to put this all together for $8.42. A dish the whole family will enjoy and certainly an elegant looking dish to serve for guests.

Here is the older, wiser, grown up version of Chicken Wellington which in our estimation made a superb meal.
  • 2 large 1/2 inch thick boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut in half to equal four portions
  • 1 sheet puff pastry
  • 1/4 cup onion - small dice
  • 4 - 5 large mushrooms - small dice
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard 
  • 1 egg + 1 tsp. water for egg wash
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • salt to taste
  • fresh pepper to taste
  • flour for when rolling the pastry
  1. Follow box directions for the puff pastry and remove about 40 minutes before using.
  2. Wash your chicken breasts under cold water and dry with paper towels. Trim any excess fat or silver skin off the breasts and cut each breast in half to get four portions.
  3. To taste, salt and pepper both sides of the chicken.
  4. Get a large skillet heated up over medium high heat. Add in the butter and olive oil. When the butter starts to bubble and sizzle, add in the chicken breasts. Brown for two minutes then flip over and brown the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Remove to a waiting plate.
  5. As soon as the chicken comes out of the pan, brush all sides with the mustard. Let them rest.
  6. Dice your onion and mushrooms and get the thyme leaves ready.
  7. Heat the same skillet you browned the chicken in over medium heat. Add in the onion and mushrooms and stir. Cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften and add in the thyme and stir.
  8. Add the dry sherry and cook until all the sherry dissipates.
  9. Set the mixture aside while you roll out the pastry.
  10. On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry to a 14 x 14 square. Cut in four sections.
  11. Egg wash all around the edges.
  12. Place about 1 tbsp. of the mushroom mixture on the bottom of each square. Add the chicken breasts next.
  13. Wrap and seal the pastry around the chicken. Egg wash the outside of the pastry.
  14. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for about 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
My suggestion is to serve these right out of the oven with your favorite vegetable on the side. Personally I did not have a potato or rice with mine but I think oven roasted potatoes would be great with the Chicken Wellingtons.



Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts