Fannie Farmer ~ The Best Brownies

Who doesn't love a good brownie?

You have to sometimes cater to the one's you love and knowing that I hadn't made my husband anything chocolate, I scoured my beloved Fannie Farmer Cookbook and found her recipe for these The Best Brownies. We were not disappointed in the slightest. For me they were easy to put together and for my husband he enjoyed eating them!
This recipe is basic and straight forward and you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator. What I also enjoyed and I do with brownies is the addition of nuts! If you don't have walnuts available, pecans or almonds chopped up work just as well. I had a little bit of all three nuts so I just combined them all.

  • 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups walnuts chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Butter and lightly flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
  3. In a heavy bottom pan melt the chocolate and butter over low heating, watching and stirring often.
  4. When melted remove from the heat and cool.
  5. In a mixing blow, add the eggs, vanilla, salt and sugar. Beat well using an electric mixer for 8-10 minutes.
  6. Stir in the chocolate mixture gently, then add the flour, stirring only until blended.
  7. Stir in the walnuts.
  8. Spread evenly in the pan and bake for 25 minutes. When done the center should be moist.
  9. Remove from the oven and let cool completely and cut into whatever size squares or rectangles you like.


Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Servings: depends on how you cut them. Fannie Farmer says you get about 28 2 x 2 inch brownies.

Brownies can be dressed up in a number of ways by adding some whipped cream or a frosting on top. Use them to make a brownie sundae for kids parties; the possibilities are all up to your imagination!

Comments

  1. Two tablespoons of vanilla extract seemed excessive to me, I used two teaspoons and they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. My beloved Fanny Farmer cookbook was over 30years old when I lost it in the Hurricane Harvey flooding. Fortunately I was in the process of moving and didn't lose everything but this was a very special cookbook given to me by my mother because I had almost worn hers out learning to cook at home as a teen. I absolutely love this recipe, the pineapple upside down cake, basic muffins, banana bread and so many more. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies. I am so sorry you lost the cookbook in that awful hurricane. Hope all is well now. Thanks and if you need a recipe from the book e-mail me and I can send it via e=mail to you.

      Delete
  3. Great brownie recipe! I used to have this book also and one of my favorite cookies in there was the Jubilees, I lost my copy of that recipe, would you mind sharing it? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts