Pork, Peppers & Onions Over Rice

A left-over make-over meal that speaks volumes to being frugal and resourceful.


An idea struck me today as I stared down that pork roast sitting in the refrigerator. Quite frankly I've always been baffled by what to make with left over pork roast. I've tried the potato hash thing and really we did not care for it very much, but this dish (Pork, Peppers & Onions Over Rice) so very similar to my Beef, Peppers and Onions will be my go to recipe for left over pork roast from here on out.

When you allow the peppers and onions to simmer in the pork gravy, the gravy takes on those flavors and it is really, really delicious. I still had peppers from our garden and they were a mixed color of green and orange. For this recipe just use the least expensive green bell pepper and it will be just as good, or if you prefer mix green and orange bell peppers.

  • 3-4 cups pork (left over) - cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 cup homemade pork gravy (or buy a jar)
  • 2 peppers - large dice
  • 1 large onion - large dice
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup chicken broth or water (to reconstitute gravy if necessary)
  1. Place a large skillet over medium low heat and melt the butter. To the skillet add in the onions and peppers. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Stir and saute for about 5-6 minutes until they soften up and start to release their juices. 
  2. When that is done, turn the heat down to low. Add in your gravy and if it is thick add a 1/2 cup or so of broth or water to reconstitute it. Stir to make it smooth and simmer on low covered for about 15 minutes for the flavors to meld together.
  3. While that's happening, if you are serving over rice begin your rice. Rice generally takes 18-20 minutes to cook.
  4. When the rice is almost done, add the cubed pork to the peppers and onion mixture. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes to warm up the pork.

While this was cooking I stepped outside and my neighbor asked me what I was cooking. He said, "whatever you're cooking smells terrific." Then my husband came in, tasted the sauce from the pan and was hoping I would serve it for lunch - he can't wait to eat it. I must say for a left-over make-over meal this is pretty darn tasty and I invite you to try it.



Simple, easy and from start to finish takes less than an hour.



Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts