Apple Schnitz Buttermilk Pancakes with Apple Butter Sauce

Soft Apple Schnitz from Kauffman's Fruit & Farm Market and buttermilk pancakes are blended creating the best apple pancake.


Neither of us really eat a morning breakfast so something we do occasionally is have a breakfast meal in the evening. Generally my husband is the chef when it involves eggs, but for french toast, pancakes or waffles I am at the helm. When I received this sampler box from Kauffman's Fruit Farm & Market breakfast was my first inclination.

Disclosure: I am partnering with Kauffman’s Fruit Farm as a blog ambassador. I have received these Kauffman’s Fruit Farm products for free; however, all opinions remain my own.

 
Before I get to the actual recipe, let me tell you a little bit about Kauffman's Fruit Farm & Market:
  • Family owned and operated since the early 1900's, the warehouse and market are located in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. Their family-owned orchards produce over 135 varieties of fruit trees. The Kauffman line is quite extensive and includes a variety of all natural, no preservatives added products like the Apple Butter Spread in the above photograph.
  • I was highly impressed with the thoughtfulness that goes into the packaging and shipping of the products. All items are placed in soft foam cut-outs with a thin layer of soft foam over the top of the product. And, they are shipped in sturdy corrugated cartons for added protection. That equates to fresh, not bruised fruit and no broken glass in shipping. I received my order within 2-3 days of order. (I am on the east coast.) 
  • For me I wouldn't blog about a product if I wholeheartedly did not believe the quality was there. I can honestly say I am proud to be a blog ambassador for Kauffman's Fruit Farm & Market. Now onto the recipe!



I can't think of a more homey breakfast for the family than pancakes. To an already fantastic recipe for buttermilk pancakes that I got from my blogging friend Mary, I am incorporating Kauffman's Fruit Farm Apple Schnitz. Apple schnitz are dried soft sweet apples and they will work together beautifully in the buttermilk pancake batter. Then instead of maple syrup I am using their Apple Butter Spread as a sauce.

It's worth the little bit of time to put these homemade pancakes together. The batch makes quite a few.
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 cups buttermilk
  • 1 1/4 cups apple schnitz- diced
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter - melted
  • 3 tbsp. white sugar
  • 3  tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • Crisco Shortening or oil
  1. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, butter milk and melted butter.
  3. Take the apple schnitz and do a rough chop on it to equal 1 1/4 cups of diced apple.
  4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Lightly oil the surface.
  5. Mix the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Don't over mix.
  6. Fold in the apple schnitz.
  7. Scoop 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of batter onto your griddle and cook the first side until the edges and center bubble and the cake is browned. Flip over and cook for another minute until the second side is browned and the pancake is cooked through.
  8. Warm up some of the apple butter to spread over the pancakes or have some to the side for dipping.


For the Apple Butter Sauce:
  • 1 container Kauffman's Apple Butter
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  1. Place the apple butter in a small sauce pot with the apple juice. Mix and warm on low.
  2. Serve on pancakes or on the side.
Light, fluffy pancakes with soft sweet apple schnitz and a side of breakfast sausage which rounded out dinner was an incredible treat and so welcomed on our dinner table.




To order the sampler box in the photograph at the top of the post, just follow this link to their website. And if you would like to connect with them on other social media, click on the links below.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts