Margarita Marinated Shrimp

A light bulb moment that pays off! Margarita Marinated Shrimp and grilled vegetables combine forces to create a stunning and delicious summertime supper.


One of the fun things I get to do as a blogger is to imagine recipes in my head and then go through the process of creating them to see if the recipe I had rolling around in my head actually comes out delicious. Sometimes there is an epic failure, most times success. It is as they say, "a crap shoot". As it turned out, this recipe idea paid off . Despite the recipe title of "Margarita", there is no tequila in the recipe therefore it is an acceptable recipe for children who like shrimp.

  • 1 lb. 16/20 ct shrimp - peeled and deveined
  • 3/4 cup Ripe margarita mix (or any other margarita mix)
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 big pinch salt
  1. To a bowl or measuring cup add the Margarita mix, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes and salt. Whisk well.
  2. Prepare your shrimp and save the shells in the freezer to make some shrimp stock. You can seal them in a plastic container or freezer bag.
  3. Place the shrimp in a bowl and add in the marinade. Marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator; 20 minutes at the very least, then place the shrimp on skewers.
  4. Light your outdoor grill and when the temperature is at around 350-375 degrees grill the shrimp for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side.


What can I say about the marinade? The shrimp absorbs the limey margarita flavors and the crushed red pepper flakes do their thing as well, giving plenty of heat to the shrimp. If you prefer less heat back the crushed red pepper flakes to 1/8 teaspoon. My husband said I should put out a warning that these shrimp are "not for the faint of heart". I have never seen him eat as much shrimp as he did last night!

I must say that having no starch but lots of grilled vegetables on the side to go with the shrimp was certainly a perfect way to eat lighter. And I was so glad for the watermelon which was there to counteract the heat and cool down the palette. Mind you it's not a burning heat but it does have a decent zing of heat and for me as I've grown older I am more sensitive to heat than I was in my younger years so that cool watermelon was a perfect accompaniment to the dinner.

Grab yourself some on sale shrimp as I did and make this simple, quick and easy marinade. Pick out some vegetables you like to grill and simply season them with salt and pepper and coat with a little bit of olive oil. Add in some cooling melon and the dinner is light, healthy and delicious. We didn't even miss a starch.




This recipe was featured here:

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts