I took a bread recipe I've made over and over and adapted it so I could make these seasonal Cranberry Muffins that are topped with streusel. These are so moist and delicious and I love the added crunch from the pecans and that nice brown sugar streusel on top just takes these over the top.
You can opt to make it as a loaf and baking instructions for that are included in the instructions. If you are making muffins, you don't have to use the paper holders as I did. The recipe is so buttery that all you need is some cooking spray in your muffin tin.
Make the batter the night before, cover and let it rest in the refrigerator. The next day pull the batter out and have your family wake up to the aroma of freshly baked muffins. I think you'll receive a gold star for that maneuver.
The recipe made 30 muffins and the streusel topping was enough for a baker's dozen. I don't mind some plain as that gives you options in case some people don't like toppings on their muffins. And the great thing about this recipe is that there is no sifting! Love it.
For the streusel:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. cold butter - cut in pieces
- In a food processor pulse the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together.
- Add in the pieces of butter and pulse until crumbly.
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 cups cranberries - coarsely chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 lrg. eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and extra for greasing the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease your pan or spray your muffin tins.
- Mash the ripe bananas with a fork or potato masher or coarsely puree them in a food processor.
- In a bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nuts.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, melted butter and 1 cup of the mashed banana puree.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture.
- Stir together the west and dry ingredients until combined. The batter may be slightly lumpy.
- Gently fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The top should be firm to the touch and using a cake tester or wooden skewer see if the middle comes out clean.
- For muffins add a coffee spoon full of streusel on top of the muffins.
- NOTE: for muffins bake 25 minutes at 350°.
- Let cook on a rack for 30 minutes before unmolding the loaf or muffins.